A message from James Fitzgerald, Director Members and Supporters
It&#;s an exciting time for EWB. We have recently been awarded a Google Local Love Grant to expand our School Outreach activities for the next months. Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience (AIME) and First Australia were also selected as part of the grant. Together our three organisations will support each other to inspire a new generation of diverse people to enter engineering and technology professions.
EWB was selected by Google because of our members! We were recognised for our ability to:
• Influence % of students undertaking School Outreach Workshops to consider engineering as a primary career choice
• Engage over , students through School Outreach in /
• Attract a % female membership when only % of the engineering workforce is female.
So what is EWB doing with Google?
We are already collaborating with Google on the Impact Challenge for the Biodigestor work in Cambodia and the Google RISE Awards for our computer science School Outreach activities.
The Google Local Love Grant will enable EWB to do the following between now and June :
• Expand our Regioneering activities with the chapters
• Launch Leaders Forums for students and teachers in conjunction with our Link Festival
• Create a team of five STEM Ambassadors. These successful university students will join us on a Design Summit in either India or Cambodia, and then be supported to share their experiences back in Australia
• Further develop our data driven community evaluation capability
• Capitalise on marketing and communications opportunities with Google and AIME.
How can I get involved?
This is a unique opportunity for our Regions and Chapters. Here is how you can get involved:
. We will be facilitating an internal EWB tender process for your region and chapter teams to apply for Regioneering Funds – we will provide you with more details shortly.
. Start thinking about outstanding candidates within your chapter to apply to become a Google and EWB STEM Ambassador in /.
. Start using the new School Outreach flyer here, if needed.
. Start getting excited about Link Festival .
In the interim, I&#;d encourage EWB chapters and regions to continue looking for funding opportunities for School Outreach for your teams. The Google Local Love Grant should complement what you had planned, not replace it.
Thanks to all our members and supporters for taking this journey will us.