Our ImpactEWB Australia works towards creating positive change to improve the quality of life for communities.
Countries we have worked in
Community organisation partners
SDGs contributing to
International field professionals
University research projects
University students participated in Design Summit since 2015
University engineering students participating in the Challenge program
Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
785 million people remain without even basic drinking water services (2017)
- 2 out of 5 people worldwide do not have a basic handwashing facility with soap and water at home (2017)
- 40% of primary schools in least-developed countries have basic handwashing facilities
- 600 million children do not have basic sanitation services at school
- 2 billion people live in countries experiencing high water stress
- 673 million people still practise open defecation
Inclusiveness and Equality
- 80% of people with a disability live in poverty
- 12% of engineers working in Australia are women
- 40% of the world’s girls and women (1.4 billion) live in countries failing on gender equality
- 39% of women make up the global workforce, but only 27% are in managerial positions
- It is estimated that the global gender gap will close in 108 years
- Women and girls are responsible for water collection in 80% of households (who lack access to water on-premises)
Energy and Sustainability
- 3 billion people lack clean cooking fuels and technology
- Indoor air pollution from using combustible fuels for household energy caused 4.3 million deaths in 2012, with women and girls accounting for 6 out of every 10 deaths
- 2 billion people do not have access to waste collection services
Climate Change and People Movement
- An estimated 1.3 million lives have been lost between 1998 and 2017 as a result of climate-related and geophysical disasters
- Over 70 million have been forced to flee their homes (37,000 per day)
Stories of Change
EWB Australia works with highly skilled and passionate individuals and organisations in Australia and overseas. Read their stories of partnership and collaboration, demonstrating the many ways EWB Australia is having positive social impact.
EWB Australia is partnering with FuturEcook - a social enterprise that improves health, education and the environment with smart electric cooking for schools and other institutions in Cambodia. Donate to our joint fundraising campaign so we can make start! Across the...
Erratic rainfall, small spaces and fluctuation in market costs are creating food security issues for vulnerable communities in Vanuatu. A new project is developing solutions for 1000 people to create their own daily food supply and carve out livelihoods, with the...
Twelve months on from the devastating floods in Timor-Leste that impacted tens of thousands of households and left infrastructure severely damaged, EWB has been working with communities to support recovery and longer-term resilience. The ability to access clean water...